endless gifts

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thankful...

"But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:12

Paul the Apostle evidentally had the market cornered on contentment. And this is something I am especially struggling with lately. I know the Bible clearly says not to "covet." "Yearn to have or possess (something)." And yet I feel badly about coveting and don't know how to change. Actually, I know the solution: heart surgery. Not the kind involving the hospital and anesthesia and a knife. The kind where Jesus transforms me. So, I am confessing once again that I need to be saved...from myself and my flesh. Please continue to transform me, Jesus.

Things I am thankful for...
1. my God and King and my salvation(I know this is a predictable first, but "if the shoe fits" I need to wear it :)
2. my gift of a husband (I seriously thought I would never find someone like him. I think of that cheesy acronym the little girl in the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" comes up with for describing the relationship of the two main characters-MFEO-"made for each other." That's definitely how i can define our relationship. And I know Jesus wove our story and I'm so thankful.)
3. my job-it's extremely stressful and i feel behind even on a good day, but I know I am investing in eternity. Only God knows how and I mean that respectfully.
4. the silly cat Joey...and that he came home after 6 weeks of MIA
5. our rent went down this year!
6. my car that is paid off
7. the goodness of coffee
8. the funny things that my students say that make me stop and think "Wow...how true. Thanks for the insight Holy Spirit."
9. my family who is supportive, loving, and made me who I am. There's not a bad one in the bunch.
10. sunsets-nothing says "God is great and beautiful" like the sky painted periwinkle and orange and cotton candy pink

To be continued...

No comments: