So there are certain things about my Saturdays that are fairly predictable. One of those things would be calling my grandparents on the phone (whom I call Mamaw and Papaw). They are these very cute, precious Southern people who have been married 60 years in June. Whenever I call, Mamaw usually answers and then she says she'll get Papaw on the phone. So she runs and gets him.
We talk about a variety of things, including funny things my students did that past week, doctors appointments they've been to in the last week, antics of my 97 year old great grandmother (she's hilarious), and how my fiance is doing. They've never met him so that's one of their favorite topics to talk about. It makes me smile. I've always had a close relationship with my grandparents...even though they live a good 10-15 hours away (depending on where in Missouri you start from).
I am very thankful I had this habit instilled in me when I was a little girl. I remember looking forward to talking to both sets of grandparents on the weekends when I was little. We have this video tape of my other grandparents talking on the phone with me and my brother and you can't hear my end of the conversation, but I'm sure it was pretty hilarious especially considering that I was 5 at the time.
well anyway, my bed is calling my name.

No comments:
Post a Comment