endless gifts

Friday, March 13, 2009

my new initials

So I think it's incredibly exciting that in 7 months my initials will be M.E.G. for Megan Elizabeth Gelband. That's secretly or not so secretly been on my "list" for as long as i can remember ("I want to marry someone who's last name starts with a G!") but now it will be a reality!
And the best part is whom I'm getting to marry!

So here's the story...at the request of a few. If you don't want to hear it...you can skip this post :) But I think you'll be sad you did :)

A little background-Bob went to Bolivar to ask my parents' blessing about 10 days ago (to which my father said "Well, she's almost 28, you're right she doesn't need our permission, but you have our blessing!") and I wasn't supposed to know about this. However, my sweet little next door neighbor girls who are more like my nieces called my phone that night because they saw Bob's car at my parents' house and were wondering if I was at home. To which I thought "Hmm...don't think I'm supposed to know that was going down." But I think it's funny :) I love those girls. Nobody will ever break into my parents house without those girls knowing and sounding the alarm. They know everything that comes in and goes out at their house.

So, I went to school Wednesday morning (a day in which I had 4 meetings and was not totally thrilled about) and it happened to be mine and Bob's 7 month anniversary. There were beautiful Gerberia daisies on my table and I thought "Hmm..." I went next door to visit my good teacher friend Dawn and asked her about it...she just shrugged and kind of smiled. Then throughout the morning I got different gifts from Bob...Dawn sent over different students with a bag or a box for me. Each item is significant to our relationship in some way and each had a note attached. The last gift and note contained the word "love" in it-which was the first time I had heard or seen that. Bob has always said he wouldn't ask me to marry him "unless he had something to back it up with." So then I was trying to remain calm. I knew he was coming to school that afternoon to "Read to my students" (they absolutely adore him by the way!).

So he came and read 2 poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein and then proceded by reading a poem he had written for me (well, one he had written several years ago but had never been able to finish until now). Then he got down on one knee (at this point my students were going crazy-the girls were all squealing and shrieking because he had said the "love" word-the first time i had heard it outloud by the way-and the boys were all covering their faces like "Oh my gosh, this is so embarassing Miss Fuhrman.") and said "Megan Elizabeth, will you marry me?" to which I responded "yes, heck yes!"
He had obviously been planning this for a while and my lovely and wonderful friend Dawn had been keeping this a secret for 6 weeks. She's a better friend than I am. I wouldn't have been able to contain it for much past a week. When my roommate Rachel was getting engaged and I knew, I couldn't even hold on to it for a week. Shoot.

I thought you'd enjoy a video that catches the tail end of his proposal and my kids going nuts. It makes me smile :)

And that's the story. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

jenniferharrisdault said...

haha, yay =0)
I told one of my coworkers the story after you called yesterday! She doesn't know you, but she's also excited for you!

That Mr. The Builder is a good one and just snatched up a fabulous gal!

Katie said...

Loved the story...thanks so much for posting it, and the video...I am so excited for you!

John said...

Congratulations! That's a wonderful story!