endless gifts

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

dr. seuss, deep thoughts, and lunchtime

Listening to : The Weepies
Making for dinner: chicken enchilada helper :)

We celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday yesterday and I read The Cat Came Back 6 times! I find it interesting that we celebrate people's birthdays who are no longer with us...I know it's the whole "honoring their memory" thing, but still, it makes me wonder what kinds of things need to be done in one's lifetime to assure that his or her birthday will be celebrated upon one's passing.
Short of leading a country, winning a war, making a miraculous break through, discovering something helpful/new, writing a book, being resurrected in 3 days, etc... I'm not sure what else can be done to be so memorable.

I do a lot of things in my day when I wonder "Will it really make a difference?" or "Is that even noticed?" Will that parent remember that I called them every night to give an update on their child's day? Will my neighbor girls in Bolivar remember me and the time I've spent with them in the early years of their life? Will the people I am surrounded by each day sense they are well loved?
I guess if the selfish, hurtful, and unkind things I do matter, than the opposite definitely matters as well.
I think we have 50 days of school left. I am happy about that, although most days I think "Yep, this is what I need to be doing." I had lunch with 6 of my kids today (Wednesday is "Eat with Miss Fuhrman" day). I find that I learn little things about their lives this way and what makes them special. Like so and so really looks forward to chicken patty days (which they always serve on Wednesdays for some reason) or so and so always brings yogurt in his lunch or so and so is going to Chuck E. Cheese for his birthday tonight. And vice verse-they know who I want to marry :), they know my favorite foods (chocolate, coffee, fruit), and they know my favorite colors are brown and pink. I just find this a sweet rhythm of life.
But anywho, need to make food. Must eat. Blood sugar is dropping.

1 comment:

jenniferharrisdault said...

You make me smile =0)

And I was just thinking that I miss you, which leads me to wonder if you'll be attending any of the Baptist Border Crossing in April? Or if you even know about the Baptist Border Crossing in April?