endless gifts

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Whew. I'm exhausted. It doesn't really get any better. My good friend Lara used a phrase on her blog I'm going to borrow..."I'm a fraction of who I want to be." Maybe it's the teacher thing. Or maybe it's just that with everything I do I have ridiculous expectations of myself (a recovering perfectionist/people pleaser). Or maybe it's just that I like to pile my plate high just for the fun of it. (maybe not fun, but this does encourage my whole people pleaser fleshy persona).

I was thinking today of all of the hats i wear as a kindergarten teacher. Here are just a few:
surrogate mother and sometimes I get called grandma, peace keeper, police officer/rule enforcer, bathroom monitor, reading teacher, pooper scooper (I really did do this today), healthcare professional, stand-up comic (my kids find me hilarious for some reason), improv song singer, librarian, secretary,crossing guard, hallway patrol, PE teacher, etc...

And I wish I got to see my boyfriend more. For two quality time people , seeing each other Sundays and everyother Monday night and maybe on Saturday mornings is not good enough for me. And I know you're probably thinking "Get over yourself" and so I will, but it's hard and I'm so crazy about just living life with him. My kids adore him. They write all kinds of hialrious stories about him. It makes me giggle.

And so with that I will embark on another venture of lesson planning for another week. Partly because I know it's my job and I'm responsible for it. Partly because I know that although it's hard to see the fruit, this is what I'm called to do at least for now. And partly because I do really like it in a crazy sort of way. I can't imagine myself doing something that didn't involve kids. Or drinking large amounts of coffee. :)

No comments: