endless gifts

Friday, February 20, 2009


this makes me happy. Sunlight slanting in the window. Simple beauty. Orange scones. Cold Water. Kindness on a stressful day. Innocent children, who might say the following:
"Miss Fuhrman, I didn't sleep very well last night." student
"really? How come?" me
"My neighbor's tiger was chained to the tree and making noise all night." student
"How did you know it was a tiger?" me
"I heard him growling all night." student
"Wow, that sounds rough." me

Bob came to see me one day at school and we were holding hands for a brief minute and one of my little girls walked by (who gets very nervous around boys) and she said "I'm going to pretend like I didn't see that."

Today was picture day and oh my goodness, I don't think it's ever taken so long to get a class picture. Gracious goodness. Somebody was always doing something silly or scrunching their faced or moving their arms around or making funny faces.

Teaching kindergarten is the hardest but most rewarding thing I have encountered so far in my relatively short lifetime. It requires everything of me and gives back so little yet so much all at the same time. The things it gives back are intangible (maybe like being a parent) so it seems it doesn't give much.

No comments: