I'm borrowing an idea from my friend Cary...it reminds me of the days I posted on xanga.
currently reading: Rich Christians in a World of Hunger
currently listening to: Sandra McCracken "The Builder and the Architect"
So yesterday one of my kids (the one who looks like the kid from the "Christmas Story" - you'll shoot your eye out) asks some 5th graders at breakfast if "Jesus had nipples."
And Monday he informed me and the librarian that his name was now "Powerman" and he would "appreciate it if we would call him that."Then he remarked that when he saw the moon out during recess that it was his "signal" to go save the world (kind of like batman I guess).
I don't know where he gets some of this. He has the gift of imagination to say the least. I heart him. He reminds me of my student from a couple of years ago who said "I'm not playing in the bathroom, I'm just stickin' my foot in the toilet." and "Miss Fuhrman, I have bubbles comin' out of my butt." Oh I miss him. He's in third stinkin grade now! That makes me feel old or something.
And speaking of...one of my students (we'll call her Hannah) has been told by her mother that "You can't have a boyfriend until you're 30." And so Hannah was talking to her mom the other day and asked her how old I was. Her mom replied with... "Oh, probably 25 or 26..." And Hannah insisted "no, mom, she has to be 30 or 31 because she has a boyfriend!"
ha ha That made me smile big time.
On a more serious note, two of my students came back from break and their parents told me they are getting separated/divorced. Please pray for them. One of them said "I might need to go stay with my dad because he might get lonely. He's all by himself." Break my heart. Gosh, I know God can bring good from the situation, but I have a really hard time understanding why children have to suffer from others' mistakes/decisions/actions. That kind of reminds me of the book I'm reading though... (oppression/suffering at the hand of others) ....see above. Over half of the people in our world live on $2 a day or less. Yeah, that's how much my coffee was at McDonalds the other day. I keep asking myself "What difference will it make if I don't buy from such and such a store?" (because of poor treatment of workers/working conditions, etc...) but then I remember that story about the star fish and the old man throwing them back in the ocean one at a time. And he replied to the boy who asked him why he was doing it... "Because it matters to this one. " And i Know it's kind of a cheesy story...but I can see the heart of God in that story as well. And the Bible seems to have a lot to say about those who are oppressed and mistreated, those who are poor because of how others are treating them, and how we respond to those who have less than us. And I know this...I've heard this but it's becoming clearer to me recently. I could go on and on about this...but let's just say I'll just share the rest of my ramblings with God.

3 comments:
I am checking that book out from the library. I need a refresher in that idea. I was going to buy myself some chocolate the other night at the grocery store, and after looking through the selection there was only one brand that was fair trade, and it cost twice as much as everything else. I thought...Dave will kill me if I buy this...and I will be mad at myself if I get any of this other stuff. So I passed on the whole thing. It was a little victory.
I need to stop telling my children that they can't date until they are 30, they are going to start judging people. :) I love the grumpy pants thing. My teacher never had any other pants, that was the disappointing thing. I remember going to the principal's office a lot for talking. Maybe that is why she always seemed to grumpy, because I was in her class. Ha, Ha. Come to think of it, that is when my grumpy pants come out, when everyone is talking at the same time. You have such a hard job. You Rock. Well God rocks through you. Have a great Friday and weekend.
1. Didn't realize you were blogging again. Oh the days of Xagnut....
2. I'll be sure to bust out some serious eloquence for you in the near future. Seriously.
3. Hey babe. :-)
You make me smile. I like to picture faces when I make the decision to support worthwhile causes instead of convenience buying. I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be, and rarely take the time to find out what my money is actually financing... but I'm trying to take small steps in realizing the significance my dollars can have. Thanks for helping me remember its importance!
Post a Comment