As I've been sifting through the physical contents of our little apartment on Cherry Drive, I've been reminded of a few things.
As a side note and somewhat of an apology for my nostalgic writing , I've also just finished reading Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist, which is possibly one of the best books I've read in the last 5 years, but certainly this year. I hate returning this book to the actual owner, my friend Angie. It's like saying "goodbye" to a new friend. However, I digress. Shauna writes in a way that really connects with me. She talks about the smallest things in life and somehow connects all of her random thoughts and shows how God shows up in daily life through the "bitter" and the "sweet." She's very reflective and this feeds my soul. In a season where I seem to be disconnected from people, she's been a breathe of fresh air. And so after reading Shauna, I think I am more prone to write in a more reflective and nostalgic manner.
So, here are a few things I've realized:
1. I need to stop taking other peoples' junk. Yes, it's true. If you've "donated" something to me in the past year (probably while you yourself were moving or purging stuff or going through closets), it's very possible that it's in my "give away to the thrift store" pile. And I apologize in advance. If you're helping me move, I hope you don't see it and I hope you're not offended. I have this problem, where people ask me if I want things and I am somehow compelled to say "yes." I don't know if it's because I think might hurt their feelings or if it's because I somehow think that those purple napkin rings will change my life, but nevertheless, I saddle myself with more junk. I know I'm probably not paying enough attention to the things given me by people that I actually use. But #1 isn't about that:)
2. I can't take it with me. "What is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal." The apostle Paul I'm sure was not moving or packing when he wrote these words, but I keep thinking of them. I think I would win the prize for the most paper material saved over my lifetime. Birthday card from 1987 from my Great Mamaw? Check. Graduation announcements from high school and college? Check. Autobiographies written in high school English Class? About every card or personal note I've ever received? Check. Have that too. Seriously. So why do I save these things? Because they are somehow important to me I guess and maybe in some way I'm trying to hold on to those people or seasons in my life.
3. Starting is half the battle. On my snow day Monday, I realized I had no excuse but to finally do what I had been dreading. Tackle. The. Extra. Bedroom. Two hours later, knee deep in boxes and bubble wrap, I was feeling like the score was Megan-1. Bedroom-0.
4. The JJ Heller Pandora Station is great for packing. It has enough motivation with a twist of reminiscence, which is right up my ally. She's been playing while I pack my holiday t-shirts, going through drawers of long-forgotten batteries and post it notes, and all of those cards I somehow can't give up (you'll be happy to know, I did purge ... some, but not all).
5. Pictures, music, and books help to tell the story of the seasons of my life. I've seen pictures of people I haven't talked to in years as well as pictures of people I talked to just last night. I found CDs that I happened upon joyously ... old friends that told stories of 10 years ago. I flipped through books and smiled at underlines, notes, and stars I wrote in the margins. I know it's silly, but these things have helped me to draw closer to Him and are evidence of where I've been and where I'm going.
6. I have an addictive habit...to journaling. I have almost 12 composition books full from the last almost 4 years. I must be the poster child for self-reflection. But journaling is my "love language" to God I think. They're kind of pieces of art .. I've decorated the front of each one and they're a "snap shot" of that 3 or 4 month season in my life.
However much I wish I didn't have these "awesome pack rat" skills, I think there's at least some positive. By saving things that are important, I'm telling my life story. And if this isn't too much of a stretch, by telling my life story, I'm helping to tell His Story. My Dad is probably about the best story teller that I know. (Coincidentally, I "inherited" my "pack-ratting" from him.) True, I could stand to save less. While sifting through all of the boxes and bags of random things (that I thought I put to rest almost 4 years ago when I moved to KC), I see a theme: people, the richness of life, the ebb and flow of this journey with Jesus ...and that often I need to let go of things that I am clutching tight Life is this somewhat ironic process of building into relationships and then sometimes drifting apart.That's how the story goes. And that's okay.
Back to the super sharpie marker that gives me a headache because it's so pungent. And where did my tape go?

No comments:
Post a Comment