Ingratitude seems to be this pesky insect that I am swatting at constantly. I try to change my position, run another direction, get a better tool to fight it with ... and it's still there. Makes me tired. I guess this is something I can look forward to when getting to heaven. I won't have ingratitude (won't have a lot of other problems either).
And then I hear about problems others have in their lives. An eviction notice. Husband and father of 4 killed in a car accident. Loss of a job. Broken bones. Heartbreak. Fractured relationships. Marriage that is less than ideal. Elderly parents getting older and more frail by the day. A medical diagnosis that is anything but desirable. Living daily with a chronic disease.
And I find myself thinking "Wow, my life could be so much harder."
And then I hear about joys others are having. Expecting another little one. The birth of a new "bundle of joy." Accepting a new job and moving to a very desirable part of the country. Going on a lovely vacation with loved ones. People with free time! Having choices and options. Buying a house. A long awaited change. Debt paid off.
And I find myself thinking "Gee, my life could be so much better."
And then I think about my very real journey with this gratitude thing. I know it has it's place. And so does perspective. But what I'm finally putting my finger on is this (with the help of a very wise friend): my battle is real. Your battle is real. My joy is real. Your joy is real. My God is so personal and He is weaving all of these various struggles, battles, losses, joys, victories, happiness together to make a more complete and beautiful life that I hope will glorify Him. I can't discount my journey and neither can you. What is hard for me may not be as hard for you. What is hard for you may not be as hard for me. It's what maybe makes some of my struggles "battles" and what makes some of your struggles your "battles." And that's okay. There is Grace that covers me and you. And my God who carries me, loves me how I am, and yet loves me too much to let me stay the same. My battles are real and my God is very real. He has the final say. And He's made me more than a conqueror.

No comments:
Post a Comment