endless gifts

Saturday, October 22, 2011

What you can get for a $1

So probably about 6 months ago, I found this book in the bookstore at my church for a $1 in the clearance basket. (Sidenote: Significant is it not that a book about gratitude was in the clearance basket? It seems gratitude makes us focus on what we already have than on what we don't have. And our culture is very "acquisition" focused. On to the next bigger and better thing. What I have isn't good enough. )  Most people (including myself) believe the phrase "You get what you pay for." However, in this case, I got so much more than I was bargaining for when I bought this little book entitled Give Thanks: Powerful Prayers for Everyday Blessings.  It doesn't even have an author's name on it. I want to thank that person. It's one more aid in the journey of gratitude that I've been on for a while. I sat down and flipped through the book this morning when I was a little "grumbly" and struggling with keeping my thoughts in a grateful place.  Here are a few that really resonated with me.


Doing the Laundry
"Father, sometimes the laundry seems to be never ending, [ and we don't have kids yet] but I'm glad this means plenty of clean clothes for me and my [husband]. Thank you for blessing us with a convenient means of washing away the stains of the day and for providing us with clean hearts, too."

Cleaning the Litter Box
"It's not a task I look forward to, Father, but my feline companion, is worth it. Thank you for all the joy the furry friends [Joey] in my life bring."

Long To-Do List:
"Dear Jesus, I am overwhelmed. There are many things on my list to do today. Thank You for giving me useful work to do, and I pray that Your priorities would be mine."

Looking at the Stars
"Dear Lord, thank You for the beauty of lights in the sky. Thank you for the promise that Your Son will return from heaven with a shout and that there will be a celebration like no other when He comes to earth. Thank You for infinite possibilities."

Anywho, next time someone says "You get what you pay for" I will respond "Usually...but sometimes you're pleasantly surprised."

No comments: