"I can't wait for ..."
"My life will be good when..."
"When____ happens, I will be content."
This is why I do the "gratitude list." Looking for the "endless gifts" that my Savior has blessed me with in everyday, nitty gritty, sometimes up, and sometimes down life. This is what I heard from the Spirit yesterday when I was having yet another "I want that person's life!" moment:
"I am the Standard, Megan. I am the 'measuring stick.' Compare yourself to me. Someone will always have what you consider a better job, better place to live, better body, better lifestyle, etc... (and someone will always have what you consider worse than you too...so help them!). "
This probably never happens to you, but I often find myself in a downward spiral after being on Facebook for an extended period of time (which is why I try to keep it short). I start seeing pictures of people's lives and wishing I were them...in an unhealthy way sometimes. I want their house, their kids, their location, their job (or lack of a job so I can stay home with the imaginary children I have:)...I do have to say I never want anyone else's husband:) I can very emphatically say that!
Anyway, I realized yesterday this is one more reason why I"m specifically looking for things to be thankful for...to notice God's active Grace in my life. You're probably like me and you can much more easily see where God is working in others' life...so much more than your own. The ironic thing is that yesterday morning I was asking God to help me "see the big picture" as I was half grumbling, half praying on my drive to school.
My new motto for when I get in this downward, ungrateful, discontent spiral towards the "greener grass on the other side": "It's only true if I agree with those thoughts." I can discard them. Put on new thoughts. That's what Paul was saying in Ephesians 4:20-24
"20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." (emphasis mine)
So after that little intro, here's my "gratitude list"...with renewed vigor I might add!
541. getting splashed when sitting on the edge of the pool (the kid that splashed me achieved his first cannon ball...cute!)
542. a mom and her son playing "Go Fish" on the train
543. bandaids on knobby knee
544. friends who save us money
545. small town train depots
546. neat rows of farmland
548. cold aloe vera on a sun burn
549. not worrying about the price (Let's just say when Bob told me this at dinner on Saturday night, I didn't know the price and mine ended up being 3 times as much as his. He will definitely never let me live it down. )
550. view from the 40th floor
551. friendly waiters and waitresses who almost seem like old friends
552. fans in a hot room
553. people who go above and beyond
554. old and artful buildings
556.public transportation
557. people who explain things in terms I can understand
558. clean towels
559. honest children
560.smell of sunscreen
561. a "stolen kiss" on the elevator
562. fun finds at Pier 1
563. six hours with nothing to do but play card games, drink coke, read, nap, and talk about random things

No comments:
Post a Comment