endless gifts

Saturday, March 5, 2011

long overdue stories

thought I should update with some school stories...

The other day one of my students was found skipping down the hall saying "The book fairy's here...the book fairy's here." (he had just visited the book fair)

One of my little girls wrote in her "learnal" (journal) the other day:" I mist Mrs. G so mush the othr day. Thn i lookt in my BEE bindr and saw her pictur. Thn I was happy agin." (translation: I missed Mrs. G so much the other day. Then I looked in my BEE binder and saw her picture. Then I was happy again.) I had tears welling in my eyes when she read it to me. They were threatening to spill over. She was writing about the day where I was gone with a migraine. She is so thoughtful. This is the same little girl who asked me last week how my finger was healing about cutting it with a knife while washing dishes, wrote me a "thank you" note for buying things for the classroom with my own money, wrote in her learnal about wanting to be my facebook friend but her mom said "no",and who in general is wise and thoughtful beyond her 6 years. I haven't met many kindergartners with the level of compassion and sensitivity she has. I want a little girl of my own like this.

Speaking of buying things for the classroom, I've tried to be better about this and Bob is so funny and has a line in the budget for school supplies for me:) Anyway, we were running low on playdough in the classroom (I still accept donations!)--which is especially great for indoor recess! My kids asked me if I'd get more and I said "Mr. Bob won't let me ... I spend too much money on school." I said this jokingly (and I did confess to Bob when I got home that I made him the "bad guy" in the situation. He just laughed about it) but my kids took me seriously like they always do. I finally did buy more playdough this past week and there was quite the commotion about that. I overheard one of my students telling another: "Mr. Bob let Mrs. G buy more playdough!"  I smiled to myself.

One of my students (she's my "Junie B.") said to her mom when I told my kids I was going to the dentist "Mrs. G's teeth are dirty...the dentist had to clean them up."  I also told her earlier that day that i loved her shoes and if she thought her mom could get me some in her size. She told her mom that night they needed to get me some too.

Posted part of this on facebook, but  left out a few details. I was playing basketball at recess with my newest student, who happens to have skin the color of creamy chocolate. She is so cute! (I really want a black baby.) Anyway, this girl can dribble a basketball like no one's business. She dribbles circles around me, dribbles backwards, dribbles on one foot while hopping, etc... I asked her how she got so good (she took pity on me and was trying to teach me to be a better dribbler I guess) and she replied "I been practicin wid my homies." I had to turn away when I laughed about it. She was so serious about it. I wanted to ask who her "homies" were, but figured it was where she used to live.

My "love pit" was not happy with me on Valentine's Day. I had been very firm with him that morning and not given him an inch (because he'll take 3 miles) and he "threatened" me by saying "Mrs. G, if you're nice to me, I'll give you a Valentine." I replied by saying "Well, if you make good choices today, you're welcome to participate in our Valentine's party." That put him in his place pretty quickly.

Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: