endless gifts

Saturday, November 13, 2010

30 thankfuls!

Feeling sorry for myself at the moment for various reasons that really do not add up to anything significant, but thought this would be a good time to add to "the list." (things I'm thankful for...see Ann Voskamp's blog www.aholyexperience.com to see my "accidental inspiration").

56. how you feel after you've been sick with strep throat (or really any kind of sick for that matter)...I felt like a new woman:)
57. my dad's predictably corny jokes...but he wouldn't be him without them.
58. movies that I love and that fit me like my favorite jeans
59. country music and it's ability to motivate me to do tasks I don't want to do...put away laundry, clean the bathroom, get lesson plans done, etc... Thank you Brad Paisley.
60. when the movie credits play
61. rainboots
62. my students' excitement about the "little" things...a new picture of Joey I put on my computer, making homemade ice cream with them, a new necklace... They are observant I tell you.
63. the smell of my fabric softener (it's Gain if you're interested...my sister says it's the the best combination of detergent and softener she's ever smelled...my question is, how many has she actually smelled?)
64. being hospitable...even when you don't know you are (my sister and some of her friends crashed at our apartment last night around 12:30 and left before 5:00...something about the airport...I got up about 4 am to go to the bathroom and saw a guy lying on the floor in the living room and was taken aback...it sort of looked like Bob for a second and then I thought to myself "Why is Bob sleeping on the living room floor? And if he's there, WHO is in bed with ME?" Was relieved to find it really was my husband next to me in bed.)
65. My co-workers...Dawn, Janie, Wendy, and Nicki. I spend more time with them and my students than I do with probably anyone else...they see me at my best and worst.
66. "feel good" true story movies (just saw "Unstoppable"...love Denzel Washington so this was an obvious pick)
67. how wearing a favorite skirt makes me feel like I can take on the world at school: shoes to be tied, snot to be wiped, numbers to write, words to read, social issues solved...
68. the crisp, clean fall smell
69. windshield wipers (mine were not working so hot last night so I was especially thankful when they started working again when I really needed them).
70. A sincere, listening ear.
71. veterinarians who can help me figure out what's wrong with the crazy cat
72. more mature and wiser women in my life
73. house shoes (mine are from Landsend...one of the best purchases I've ever made...they're going on 6 winters I think)
74. laughing outloud at greeting cards in Hallmark
75. people who communicate clearly with few words...I admire this ability as I clearly do not have it (my brother for one)
76. making chili on a cold, rainy night
77. trying a new recipe
78. my mamaw telling me about her latest adventures with her mother (my great mamaw who is 99 and is sassy, fiesty, and the sweetest thing you'll ever meet)
79. I know this is predictable...but those who have sacrificed time with their family, comfort of home, etc... to keep us safe
80. Friday night when I can crash and fall asleep at eight and not worry about getting things together for the next day
81. sitting in a dark movie theatre with my "best-friend-husband" and holding his hand during an intense movie scene
82. my friend Janie's morning greeting at school "Good morning friend!" She is so stinkin' cheerful it hurts sometimes:)
83. crying from laughing so hard while listening to my car radio in the morning
84. US postal service
85. finding the perfect gift for someone!

I should have done that sooner...30 things!

School story I have to tell:
My "Junie B. Jones" student (precocious, hilarious, and always in to something) while working on a project in another kindergarten classroom (we were doing a series of science lessons for the day): "...oh crap..."

My "love pit" student (who loves to find when someone else is doing something not right ... probably because every other word out of others' mouths are directed towards him): "Um...she said the 'F' word!...I mean the 'P' word!"

Oh goodness...we have a lot of phonemic awareness (the sounds in words) to do.


1 comment:

Lara said...

Your thankful lists are fun! It sounds like you have a lot of precious moments happening in life. I'm sorry it didn't work out to see each other a few weeks ago. Strep throat! Phew! I'm glad you're feeling better now.