So the more I come to know God (Jesus is included here as they are the same, yet different...what a crazy concept)...the more I realize it pours out into my life as a teacher/surrogate parent/"shepherder of young hearts" etc... For example, this morning I was studying in my devotional about how God's commands (or "rules" if you will) are how he expresses His Love for us. At first this seems to have a negative connotation. One might think "well, if he really loves me, he'll let me do what I want." But really in "being a slave" to Christ and being obedient to God's "rules", we are living in freedom. Breaking "rules" and laws lead into slavery of a different kind...misuse of money, broken relationships, addiction (of all sorts!) etc... It reminded me of what I say to my students "I love you, but that's not okay!" and "Am I saying that to be mean, or because I love you and want what's best for you?" This is basically what God is saying to us with his "rules" and guidelines. This also makes me think of the verse in Hebrews about God disciplining those he loves.
You've probably heard me refer to my "love pit" student...his problems are a combination of extreme impulsiveness, major deficit of social skills , and lack of boundaries and rules in his young life thus far. When I set boundaries with him, he doesn't like it and pouts and carries on. But his parental unit was telling me yesterday at conferences he has a big respect for me and she attributed it partly to my not giving in to him and being firm with him. Any education class focusing on "classroom management/discipline" involving young children that's worth it's salt will emphasize that children need and "want" boundaries (subconsciously) even if they don't realize it. It makes them (subconsciously ) know they are safe and loved. It seems to me that God would agree whole-heartedly. Because God does have boundaries (rules/laws/"statutes"/principles) for us, He is communicating His love for us. Knowing Him and His love, leads to trusting Him and trusting Him leads to obedience. Hopefully as my students come to know me (I am not equating myself with God here, please don't get me wrong. I am seeing God as a parent and how in many ways I am a "surrogate parent" to my students), they will know of my love for them and that I want only what's best for them (and therefore have their best interest in mind). And as they experience this, they will trust me and my ways with them. And in return, they will obey because they know I can be trusted and have their best interest at heart.
This is not complicated I realize and not "anything new under the sun" as Ecclesiastes states, but a realization I had this morning that at least made me have an "ah ha!" moment.

1 comment:
Megan, I was reading this blog post the other day, and I have no idea how I got there, someone recommended an article who recommended an article, and I have no idea who this guy is or any of that, but it had a cool story in it.
http://fromthepew.blogspot.com/2010/08/boundaries-that-promote-freedom.html
I am sure long winded sometimes. Anyway, I loved the story about boundaries in the post and thought of it when you posted on boundaries.
So true, right now, I'm trying to self impose boundaries on myself...a bedtime being at the top of the list. So, I'll have to ramble more tomorrow.
Post a Comment