endless gifts

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Where did it go?

Holy smokes...school is calling my name. Summer Megan is fading away a little bit more every day. It was nice knowing you, my friend. One of my co-workers said she liked "Autumn, Winter, and Spring Megan" just as much but I told her I liked Summer Megan the best...much more relaxed, creative, and domestic:)

Let me just address one of my soap boxes for a moment... If you're not a teacher, it's definitely not one of my favorite things when you say "Oh, you are so lucky...you get 3 months off each year!" or "You have three reasons for teaching: June, July, and August." Let me tell you something,whoever started that doesn't know what they're talking about. That was back in the day when you didn't start til after Labor Day. And something else, if I were to only be a teacher because of the supposed "three months off" each year, I don't think it would be worth it. Seriously. You really have to love those kids and hear the "calling." Kind of like to the ministry. When you sign that contract you know you are going to be: overworked, under appreciated, and yet you are making an impact that you often will not know for many years (to me, that sounds like a perfect definition of working in "ministry" if you ask me). I know i voluntarily do summer school for part of June, but August 1 is the end of my summer. And I definitely work at least 60 hours a week in the school year it seems. My time is not my own, always bring home things to work on, and basically "on call" (parents-it's fine, I give them my number, but it's still a reality). But let me tell you the things I love about my job (because if you only read the above paragraph you are probably thinking "what in the world is she doing as a teacher then?" I just hate the stereotype is all.)

1. The funny things they say and do. Sometimes I try to have a "fly on the wall" perspective and think "this isn't normal. This is really a hilarious situation if I were to walk into the room right now." Like the time that C pooped on my floor during work station time and said he was too busy working to go to the bathroom, the time that one of my favorite autistic students exclaimed in shock "We don't say S--t at school" and repeated it loudly at least 5 times, or the time that our field trip was canceled 10 minutes before we were going to load the bus.

2. The growth they exhibit in 9-10 short months.

3. Knowing that K loves watermelon, that A loves tornadoes and anything science, and that H's favorite day of the week if "chicken patty Wednesday." I love knowing the little things.

4. The awesome people I work with-they keep me sane. Enough said.

5. Even though I can't say "hey, Jesus loves you and wants you to grow up to know him", I pray that by my actions and words they will know Him.

6. I can totally be myself with my kids. They think I'm the best thing since sliced bread (that or sugar). They love to hear stories about Joey the cat, my husband, and pretty anything I tell them about. It's like having your own fan club and cheerleaders all rolled into one.

Picture update soonish!

1 comment:

Our Family said...

I KNOW I CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS COMING TO AN END EITHER! Hope you have a great school year!

Love you!

Christy