endless gifts

Friday, October 24, 2008

So after meeting with 22 sets of parents in 6 hours time (it's a real marathon I tell you), I'm reminded of some of the reasons I'm a kindergarten teacher. It's honoring and somewhat scary that I am so influential in the lives of 22 five and six year olds...especially when considering the following:
  • I had at least 5 parents tell me that they would tell their child something (for example: "this is a really good book. We should read it" ) to which their child would not believe but when "Miss F" would tell them the same thing they would believe it like it was from God. I told the parents to please assure their kids I am not the authority and last word on all things:)
  • One little girl in my class was talking to her mom in the car a few weeks ago and said something like

student: "Hey mom, when you and dad ever have another baby, can we name it 'Megan'?"

mom: "Well, maybe-what if it's not a girl?"

student: "I think we should still name it Megan anyway. I know it's not nice to copy, but I just love that name."

mom: "Why do you love that name?"

student: "Because it's Miss F's 'real name!' "

  • I was told by several that their child cried when they couldn't come to school on a day they were sick. One even said something like "Miss Fuhrman will miss me!" in trying to convince his mom he should come to school even with a 102 temperature.

Here's a video of one of our "brain breaks" at school. It's not all fun and games, but we do take a dancing break between writing workshop and math.

2 comments:

jenniferharrisdault said...

Thanks baby Meyhan!
Looks like you need to take another look at your own blog -- YOU are inspiring! Changing lives everyday. THAT is something to be proud of!

Katie said...

You pour so much into those children, and I am so glad that you got some positive feedback and encouragement yesterday.