endless gifts

Monday, August 10, 2009

they say the "darndest" things

So I was working at school today in what i most affectionately call "the black hole" (the closet my friend Dawn and i share and somehow it just overwhelms me). We had open enrollment at school today...so there were some kids running around the building with their parents.
I heard a little scuffling noise behind me and there was this little boy (let's call him "William") who was contently playing on the work bench I have in my room. He just started talking to me - he even introduced himself! The conversation went something like this...
W: "Yeah, my cousin goes here but he gets beat up on the bus (reason #3 why my kids will not ride the bus if I can help it)."
me: "Oh dear...he should ask an adult for help."
W:"Well, I know kung fu so I'm not worried."
me: (pondering if I should just say "uh huh" or explain to him why he should talk to an adult for help before resorting to self defense)...
W: "Well, I gotta go...bye!" and he wanders down the hall to the next room to check it out:)

I overheard another kindergarten teacher talking with this same little boy...she was asking him the names of some letters and she got to "F" and he said "I don't know it's name...but it's what you get when you did bad."
I laughed outloud.

So if the above is a preview of what's to come, bring on the new kids, the new heartaches, and the new hilarities!

No comments: